Friday, January 4, 2013

On the thorny dilemma of LinkedIn Skill Endorsements


Lately I've been agonizing over the following scenario:  On the one hand, ever since LinkedIn introduced Skill Endorsements, I can’t help but feel fantastic whenever kind people exhibit their generosity by taking the time, trouble, and interest to endorse various aspects of my work. (Thank you, thank you, everyone.)  But here’s my dilemma: thus far I have declined to participate in endorsing others myself for fear of making it look as if I’m playing favourites. (American readers, please don’t be put off by my Canadian inclusion of the letter ‘u’ in the preceding word!)

Specifically, my reason for avoiding endorsements is that, as a business journalist, in most circumstances I consider it part of my responsibility and journalistic integrity to remain relatively objective for my readers in both my writing and my deportment. I also try hard to maintain enough diplomacy and positive regard for all my contacts to enable me to circulate freely within the industry and its supply chain to gather news and information as widely as possible, again for the sake of my readers.

Under these circumstances, how do you think I should handle the thorny question of LinkedIn Skills Endorsements? 

Am I doing the right thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment